Monday, July 12, 2010

Do you use Craigslist?

I have a few times. 
There usually isn't anything good in our area, so I've branched out a few times and bought things farther away.
My oldest daughter lives in a much larger town than I do.I've imposed on her a few times to pick things up that I've found on Craigslist.
This last time I imposed on my middle daughter, since she's spending the summer in the same town as my oldest daughter.
The first thing I ever got on Craigslist was this.
For some reason, I fell in love with the idea of a real chalkboard after I saw this photo in Country Living.
I knew I probably couldn't find one as big as that, and that my dining room wouldn't look like that when I found a chalkboard, but I did find a real one. 
Real slate,
from an old one room school house in Coffee, Missouri. The woman who sold in on Craigslist said her dad went to that school.
(I had to wonder why she would even sell it. I guess I'm way too sentimental-I could never part with something like that. Which explains my garage.)
Here's the kicker. She only wanted $25 for it.
SCORE!
It's really heavy. I have a lot of fun with it. 
Sometimes my kids draw on it, too. :)
Something else I found on Craigslist was this cute cabinet.
The guy who sold it thought it was from the 60's. I let him think that. I think it's older. It was an ugly brown and there were partitions inside for storing sheet music. This was before I even read blogs, so, no pictures.
We took out the partitions so that there are just two shelves, then I painted it white.I can fit a lot in this cabinet. My favorite part is this.
Aren't those swags pretty?
It cost about $50, if I remember right.
I recently imposed on my daughters again.
They picked this up for me, and delivered it.
:)
That's all I'm going to show you for now.
The rest is under construction.

Have a great day!

10 comments:

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I love buying things on craig's list. People who sell on CL usually want to get rid of something quickly and you can negotiate a very good price. Specially if they have it in storage. Love cabinet you bought, it looks beautiful in white.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

btw, I don't get attached to things but I can understand how you feel because my younger sister gets VERY attached to things. The only thing I get attached to are letters and cards people give me. I keep them in an album and love reading them over and over.

gina3 said...

I've never used CL. I think I've only looked on it once. Maybe I should look again because I love that chalkboard. I, too, get sentimentally attached to a lot of things and can't part with them. I'm glad everyone's not like that or we wouldn't be able to get some of the wonderful things we buy and find.

Tamarah said...

Oh Suzanne I WISH we had Craig down here....I LOVE the pieces you've shown & can't wait to see your latest project....!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

Amber said...

Great finds Suzanne! Can't wait to see the transformation of the third piece. I love your bedside table. Very pretty!

The Boston Lady said...

Suzanne, I haven't had the nerve to use CL yet, but my son in LA has furnished most of his apartment that way and it has been a budget-saver. I need to take the plunge.

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I enjoy yours so much. Ann

Ms. Modern Vintage said...

I love your finds, Suzanne, can't wait to see the reveal of what's under construction.

I love Craigs. I use it all the time. Have never had a problem, since I call and make sure they sound "normal." I also don't buy from men to be on the safe side.

Lori said...

Love Craig's list. My son in law is a pro at finding what he needs. I need to start selling on it.

Farmhouse Country said...

Yup...I am a Craigslister. I confess. The pool we needed to replace last year, $500 brand spankin' new in the box...a $1400 pool. Still sealed in the boxes. Funny since we were going that weekend to purchase a new one from the pool store. That was my best find evah. I have several pieces of furniture in my house that I bought for a song off CL. If I need to buy something I check there first now. I love your chalkboard $25 unbelievable! You have some great finds...I too have driven all over to p/u my finds, but I liked doing it.
Take care,
Dee Farmhouse Country Style

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I have a serious addiction to CL. Seriously! I have an app for it on my iPhone. I'm doing a post on all my finds sometime in the near future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...