Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stellar, or just plain weird?

Do you ever have what you think is a stellar idea, and when it's all done, you can't decide if it's stellar or just plain weird?
Or, it could be something in between the two.
That's where I am with this project.
You may remember this ladder
With the cute backside.
Well, I took it apart. (By "I", I mean, of course, my husband. This thing was held together by RIVETS, of all things. Not screws. So it wasn't just a matter of pulling out the drill and removing all the screws. No. A chisel, needle nose pliers, a bolt cutter and more muscle than I have all played a major role in deconstructing this ladder.)
So anyway, the ladder was in two pieces. I painted the cute backside, distressed it 
 so some of that green would show through, and put it here, in my kid's bathroom.
 Is it just weird? I think it's kind of cute, 
and the little shelf is handy.
As soon as I add a few screws to stabilize the shelf, that basket will hold extra toilet paper.
 The top is another smaller shelf.I'll probably put extra soap up there.
Or just something cute.
It does give me some more options for accessorizing.
And it's not in the way. All but the tallest of individuals could fairly leap off the potty and not bump their noggins. 
 I'm going to live with it awhile and see if it continues to grow on me. 

Thanks for reading!
 

18 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I like it! You could use it in any room, love that wire basket too!

Rondell

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I like the way it looks there, it's perfect. I like that you can use it as a shelf too. It's one of those projects that no one has thought about and once it's out there, everyone will be looking at ladders differently, well, at least all creative people will.

Trisha said...

That is such a great idea-one that I would have never thought of! You are so creative!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I like it. Adds character! Not the same old boring stuff. Great idea! Jackie

Lisa said...

LOVE IT! It's a definite keeper. I'd add some greenery to it, possibly in the beautiful wire basket or even rolled up coloured towels. But I absolutely love the idea. Very creative... even 'stellar' I'd say !
Lisa

Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com said...

I love the idea... but I'm feelin' like it needs something... it's just not poppin'. Maybe even something else on the wall on either side. I know that by the time you are done it'll be fantastic... I'm sure from reading your other stuff that you are no where near done :) Great idea!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It isn't popping. That's what bugs me, I think. And that bathroom is really bare. It's kind of a two room bath, with the shower and toilet in one room and the vanities in the other. We were in the middle of remodeling the bathrooms and had to start planning our daughter's wedding, and I just never have gotten around to decorating the shower side.
Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

Roseanna said...

I like it...maybe you could string some wire(rusty or not) across the bottom area and hang a magazine or two!

gina3 said...

I like it. You have plenty of room on the side to hang something like a picture or sign or whatever. My friend is having the same problem in her newly renovated bathroom. She focuses on one thing and thinks it's not right because there is nothing else to focus on yet. I say get other things in there before you decide on this. Maybe put the basket on the floor for extra tp rolls and put a picture and something else on the ladder shelf and top shelf. I really like it.

Ms. Modern Vintage said...

I love it. It's very unexpected. With some accessories, it'll be stellar.
christa

Amber said...

It's not weird at all. It's very original! I like it. I've definitely never seen this done before.

Red Head said...

I think it's cute, WAY better than the prefab over the potty organizers. I really really like your wire basket though. That's stealing the show for me...

www.thatredheadedstepchild.com

Green Willow Pond said...

I love it. So unique and original. I'm with everyone else...it just needs to be accessorized with something on the walls on one or both sides of it.

C'est Magnifique said...

It's not weird at all, I love it... I WANT it!!! LOL!

Tania

Maureen @ Cottage 960 said...

I love the idea. I'm sure once you complete the accessories it will be perfect!

Kristi @ Creative Kristi said...

I like it! Great paint job too! Thanks for your comment on my From built in to pantry
post! It WOULD be crazy to take out that built in if it was anywhere else but the kitchen! haha!
Kristi
@ Creative Kristi

Wendy said...

I like it!!

Gloria Fox said...

What a great way to repurpose an old ladder! Great idea...LOVE it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...