Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hotel Inspired Key Rack

I really like this key rack
 from Mothology.
I decided I need one. Even though our present system of key organization was clearly working for us.
Yeah. 
So I thought I'd try to make one for less.
 I cut some tongue and groove planks that I had left over from this project and this project and glued them together. I just used an ordinary construction adhesive. 

Then I needed to frame it. Since our miter saw is broken, I asked someone who kinda likes me to help.
He just used Gorilla super glue to attach the frame.   
(Because I didn't want to fill in the holes that finishing nails would have left.)
We used this kind of frame because we already had it.
Now for the hard part.
The original rack is made from reclaimed wood. Mine is made from brand new pine. Somehow I needed to make it look older, and maybe a little weathered.
(Yeah, a key rack wouldn't normally be all that weathered. That thought occurred to me. But then I decided not to think that hard.)
So I started with some of this.
 I just used a cheap brush, because I wanted a little bit of a streaky look.
I really like the gel stain. It doesn't dry very fast, which was good. It gave me time to make sure I had a somewhat even coat.
Once that was dry, it was time to add something else.
I watered down some of the Slate Gray
and applied it. Then I added the brown (Mississippi Mud) to the watered down gray paint, and applied some more streaks. 
I kept going until it looked like this.
Then I added more gray to the watered down gray and brown paint mixture, and coated the whole thing. When it was just barely dry, I rubbed it down with a damp paper towel. That's the cool thing about craft paint~it will wash off if you don't let it dry too long.
So then it looked more like this.
I repeated the process a few times, alternating between a more brown coat, then a more gray coat, rubbing it down with a damp paper towel each time.
This is the final coat. It's streaky, but it doesn't scream "STREAKS!!!" at you.
Then it was time to put on the hooks. 
The hooks and label holders on the inspiration key rack look like they're all one piece. I couldn't find any like that. I found a few label holders online, but I really didn't want to pay $3 each for them since I needed 20 of them.
I found these
              at a scrapbook store, and these cup hooks
  at a hardware store.
I just needed them to look like they belonged together. So I sprayed them all with this. It's a dark bronze color.
Once they were dry, it was time to add them to my board.
I'm not the best when it comes to measurements, and I had to do a little adjusting.
That's why I made all my marks with chalk. It's easy to rub off if you make a mistake. I made my marks in the center of each label holder.
This thing is an odd width, and my ruler was too long to fit on this, so
 I decided that if I used a template, it would be easier to get everything all lined  up straight.
I just made one out of paper.
I put a dab of glue in the corners of the label holders and put them all in place.
Then I had to drill some pilot holes for the cup hooks. The planks I used aren't thick, and I didn't want the cup hooks to split the wood.
               I used one of the smallest drill bits we have
and put a small hole under each label holder, making sure I centered each hole. 
Then I screwed them in.
Once that was done, I needed to make sure the label holders were really secure.
I used these.
They're very small, so it helped to use some needle nose pliers to hold the pins while I hammered them in.

Here's the finished product.
         I hung it by the front door.
  I'm really happy with how it turned out!
It's not exactly like the Mothology key rack, but I didn't pay anywhere near $62, either. 

   Thanks for reading!
 I'm linking up to the DIY Club, Inc. September party.

63 comments:

Red Head said...

Love it! I think the stain you used looks really nice, and I love the labels. I may try making a smaller one, we really only have 3 key rings around here, but I love how your rack looks!

Sara @ thesherlockshome said...

You did great with this! We're (meaning DH) just not organized enough around here to ever actually get the keys on the rack!

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Rock on girl! I'm totally impressed. This is my impressed typing. It looks different than my not-so-impressed typing. Use your imagination.

Yes. I love this project.

Emily@TheWickerHouse said...

Very Cool! I Love all your projects, but this one just may be my favorite!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks awesome! i actually saw it last night when you must have accidentally published it and tried to comment... but hten it was gone! anyhow, i think this could be a winning project. love it!

Angela said...

Looks great!!

Sweet as June said...

cool! never would have guessed this from yesterdays post! ;)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Ok, that looks so much better than the jumbled mess hanging at my back door. I definitely think I am going to have to try this one. Jackie

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

I love this Suzanne! You did such a perfect job. Smart thinking with the label holders. I'm the same way. Always thinking... "what would work instead of, or in place of the expensive thing"
I also think the weathered look you created is so cool!
Kelly
ps I had to laugh when I saw the bowl of keys. Ha! I can relate.

Tamarah said...

BRAVO Suzanne I LOVE your key holder....We have 'key issues' here & this would be PERFECT for us....I know what my FIRST back from the US will be....hahahahaha....Aside from unpacking all my Treasures that is....!!

THANKS for sharing this CLEVER project with us....!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

Lori said...

Can you give me a tip on the wood, I am looking for a great price for some grooved planks.

gina3 said...

That's so great! I love Mothology and my friend and I have been eyeing that keyholder for over a month now wondering if we could recreate it. That's so funny.

Holly said...

LOVE this project. Our current key organization system looks an awful lot like yours...my hubby is always asking where my keys are - I am known to leave them on the hood of the car and the top of the car and in the door. VERY NICE! Thanks for linking to DIY Club.
Holly
504 Main and DIY Club

Tina @ www.commoncentshome.blogspot.com said...

I Love, Love, Love this! I have some hooks at my front door, but this is so much cuter. Hmmmm..... I might need to copy this also! :)

C'est Magnifique said...

I love this project, you are so clever!

Tania

NanaDiana said...

Suzanne...You did a wonderful job recreating that key rack! Wow! I am truly impressed. And, thank you, too, for sharing all the instructions and photos with us! You are amazing! Diana

maureen said...

oh my gosh, i LOVE how it turned out! you are so clever and creative and always thinking and working! :)
and what patience you have with the paint, and taking all those photos.
great project, thanks for sharing!

freckled laundry said...

Oh my, Suzanne! This is a wonderful key rack and VERY much like the inspiration piece. Great work.

Jami

Amber said...

That looks just as great as the original! :) Congratulations on your feature over at Remodelaholic!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

You did a great job and now I want one! Visiting from the DIY Club!
{Rebekah}

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

That is super adorable! You did a great job!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

I love how this turned out! I'm thinking this would be cute hanging on my chalkboard wall. Thanks for sharing...I added it to my "file".

Its So Very Cheri said...

THAT--isw A--DOR--ABLE!!!

Thanks for linking up and since you used Gorilla Glue you can enter that party as well. It is going on all month--just click the Special Party event.

cheri

Cannwin said...

Fantastic. Now I want a new key holder. Dang, I already made one.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

That is so cute, Suzanne! What a great idea! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial, too! :)

Randi said...

That's such a great project ... love the way it turned out!

Lisa said...

What a great idea! You're so creative to try to make your own! Love it : )

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

That turned out SO cool!

Mippie said...

This is absolutely amazing!

Sandra {sawdust and paper scraps} said...

I love it, such a cool idea. FB'ing it right now!

The Exchange said...

Wow, so awesome!! You did an amazing job on this! Great tutorial too. I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!
Cyndy

Samantha2818 said...

I think yours looks just as good as the original one and I prefer your colour more. I've wanted to make one of these for ages - in the UK there is a really similar one by Ella's Kitchen and I took a photo of one with my phone in a shop so that I could copy it but can only find these label holders in antique shops and they are really expensive. Thanks to you I've now just ordered 60 from K and Company's website so should have one of my own soon - hope it turns out as nice as yours!
~Sam

Korrie@RedHenHome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Oh, I love this SO much! I have some beadboard lying around...hmmm...
Thanks for visiting my blog!

DMA said...

WOW WOW WOW! So impressive!!! I LOVE IT!!

Single Stone Studios said...

I LOVE this!! So fun.

Michaela Noelle said...

I totally love this! Anything that looks old and chic steals my heart. Great job! I want it for my house (:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Now THIS is really cool! Great copy on a really neat looking project!

Donna

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love love love! This looks simply amazing! I love the distress look and finishing technique. You have done an incredible job! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Tony and Kimra said...

Definitely putting this in my inspiration folder!

Kimra
kimraskreations.blogspot.com
crafty-cove.blogspot.com

Chris said...

I can't get over how in love with this project I am! I LOVE it! You offered such a fantastic tutorial, too! Thank you!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Because you used Gorilla Glue, you can also enter our Gorilla Glue contest. Just click on Special Event Parties.
Cheri

Remodelaholic said...

We love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors.
www.remodelaholic.com

Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Oh goodness, I LOVE this! You did a great job... now I'm wondering if my house needs a mini version of it.... :)

LOVE!!!!

By Word of Mouth said...

Love the key'board', in fact not only do we need a big one, but thinking a smaller version near the computers would be awesome for hanging the memory sticks on, they are always disappearing so thanx for the inspiration!

Brittany@Superwoman said...

is the scrapbooking store that you bought the label things a national store? the only place i can think of checking is hobby lobby. any help would be awesome! i saw this in a magazine only a few weeks ago, and i've wanted to try it. it's so cool that you made a tuturial! i'm planning on making mine with free pallet wood and attaching a metal wire basket underneath for a catch-all. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Nancy said...

Love it! I think it looks perfect and It's a super great idea! Thanks!

Jane said...

This is a fabulous project! You did a great job!! Thanks for the tutorial.
Jane

The DIY Show Off said...

Awesome job! I love how it turned out. Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your creative inspiration! :)

Roeshel

Ericka said...

This is wonderful! May I be a nerd and ask the dimensions?

Anonymous said...

Your Meridian Rd wouldn't be Meridian,Idaho would it ? If it is,I love the place. I visit whenever I can.

Phuong said...

OMG! This is so awesome! I love your creativity.

Beth said...

I just found your blog...and I wish I had a handy husband to help me,but HECK, I may just get started on my own. Just one suggestion? When you go out of town? take the keys off and HIDE THEM. We had our house broken into. They were loading my van when a neighbor discovered them. and yep, you guessed it! The keys were hanging just inside the back door!

lauren @ West Furniture Revival said...

LOVE THE KEY BOARD! id love to feature it on my next revival monday. please let me know if this would be ok with you.
lauren

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Oh my gosh this is absolutely fantastic! Thank you for the great tutorial-I really need to make one of these. :)

Bridgette said...

wow what a great idea, When i have finished all of our renovations i would love to make something similar for our keys, i am shocking with my keys and phone, maybe i should include a pouch for phones too ;) I am your newest follower from Australia x

Shabby Marilyn said...

LOve this idea, who could not use this, thanks for sharing! New follower, found you from Cassie, come visit and hope to have you follow!
Love your work!

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

I have also had my eye on this "Hotel Key Rack", & I was thinking of making my own {now the price is up to about $75, I think}, so I googled it & found you! You did a fantastic job. I can't wait to give it a try & I'll link to your tutorial. How much do you think your project cost? Happy to be a new follower.

Warmly, Michelle

mindfuldrawing.com said...

Lovely board for keys. It is pinned on Pinterest. I would like to re-pin it, is that okay with you? Of course with the original resource i.e. your blog address.
Paula (at www.mindfuldrawing.com)

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

This is totally great. It's the first time I've seen your copy, referred over here by Korrie. It looks authentic enough to me!

dane said...

très sympa, il faut me laisser un commentaire sur mon blog ce serait gentil merci et félicitations pour ce porte clefs bravo dane
http://dane.et.le.crochet.blog.free.fr/

Monica said...

Great job. I'd never heard of Mothology, off to check them out. I found you through Pinterest. I'm trying to think what I could use these for as we only have 2 sets of keys here. I might have to put some fake keys in there. :p

Sign Cast said...

Looks amazing.
<a href='http:/www.yesterhome.com></a>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...