Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chalkboards

I think just about everyone has one.
Some people even use theirs.
Mine is purely decorative.
No lists, notes or menus on my chalkboard.
I'm not opposed to that. I just don't do it.
Have you ever looked at chalkboards like this one
and wondered what artist drew on it?
It just looks so artsy.
Look at the rooster. 
Nice.

Well, you too can have drawings that looks that good, even if you don't think you can draw!
(imagine I said that in an infomercial voice.)

This is all you need.
A picture you like, some soft construction paper, a pen or pencil and chalk.
Take your chalk and cover your construction paper. Really get it on there thick.
You're making something like graphite tracing paper, but with chalk. The soft construction paper holds the chalk better than regular paper. In fact, regular paper doesn't work at all.
Ask me how I know that.
Then tape your picture to the other (non-chalk) side.
Tape it to your chalkboard, and go over the lines with a hard pencil or a ball point pen.
Use a pen and a lot of pressure if you want a really clear image
Like this bee,
or less pressure or a pencil for a softer image.

It's that easy! 

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Wow, that's great! I love it. I love that chalkboard on your first shot.

Mel P said...

Ingenious! I actually just started using my kitchen chalkboard for a practical purpose (in an effort to eat out less, I made a menu to take some thought out of dinner). But now I can dress it up with some pretties! Thanks for sharing!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Great trick! I can't wait to try this!

♥ Calamity Anne ♥ said...

Fantastic tip!!! Thanks for sharing!

Roseanna said...

Brilliant, Suzanne!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

You are one smart chick!

Green Willow Pond said...

Great idea! I'm one of those who doesn't have a chalkboard yet...gasp! I do hope to incorporate one when I redo our kitchen though.

Suveliina said...

That's a fantastic idea Suzanne, thanks. I have to try that on our chalkboard. Now we have painted a cabinet doors with chalkboard paint. For the next house I'm hoping to paint a whole wall.

Hope everything is okay.
Hugs Suvi

ps. thanks for the chandelier idea for the bedroom. I have already looked for one. I think white would be the color.

Jane said...

This does look easy! Maybe I'll try my hand it!

Jane

Benn's Wife said...

Great idea! I will have to try that sometime.

Erin @ The Little Apartment said...

I love that trick.. (:

NanaDiana said...

What a fun idea for a chalkboard. I have used that method with paper and pencil for tracing something for years....but never thought about doing it for a chalkboard. GREAT idea. Diana

maureen said...

so clever you are! Now I just need a chalkboard. :)
♥ maureen

Sue said...

Ooooh Suzanne, what a cute trick for "drawing" cool things on a chalkboard! Sorry I haven't been by lately- I'm trying to get caught up on a lot of my "peeps" I've missed while out of town. I am sooooo behind! good to be back.
xo Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...