Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sheet Music Star Garland

I made this garland yesterday.
It was a lot of fun! It took about 2 hours.
I'll show you how I did it.
I cut my sheet music in one inch strips, 8 or 9 inches long. I taped two strips together.
Then you tie a knot on the end.
You have to be really careful not to tear the paper, especially if you're using vintage sheet music.
Fold the small end in so that you have a pentagon shape.
(sorry for the blurriness of the photos. I'm not a good one handed photographer.)
Keep folding the paper around the pentagon shape. You just make sure the edges all line up.
You'll go around several times.
 When you get to the end, tuck it into the little gap that's closest. You might have to tear some of the paper off if it's too long.
Then, using your thumbnail, make a dent in the side.
 Go all the way around the pentagon, creasing the flat sides in the middle with your thumbnail.
Then you'll have your star. One tip~as you are folding the strip of paper around itself, don't flatten it too much. You want it tight, but you don't want to crease it so that it won't puff out when you dent the sides. I found that out the hard way.
 Then I made loops in some jute twine by tying knots every few inches.
I just eyeballed it, but you could measure it if you're so inclined.
Then I fired up the hot glue gun and glued a star to each loop, making sure they all faced the same way.
I made about a 12 foot garland.
I think the puffy stars are freaking adorable!
If you want a better tutorial, click on 
(It won't hurt my feelings. Really. Go ahead and click on it.
 And thanks again for the link, Joni!)

Thanks for reading!









31 comments:

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

I "heart" the puffy hearts! They are so cute!
gail

C'est Magnifique said...

Sweet! I made some of those puffy hearts for some of my Christmas decor but I never thought to put them on a garland! Mine are in an upcycled glass terrarium with some glittery fake snow stuff!

Tania

Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants said...

That is adorable! I am going to have to give those a try, and I love the idea of using them instead of a bow for gift wrap.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Those are sooo cute! Now come down so we can make some puffy stars over a cup of coffee for two hours!

Amber said...

That is so cute Suzanne! I could see that on some pine garland above my kitchen window, or simply just strung in the window. :) Did you put it on your tree for your church's Christmas luncheon?

poindextr said...

I love them! Couldn't be any sweeter if they were dipped in chocolate! I also like Laura's idea to use them for package toppers. Your garland is just too stinkin cute!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Your star garland is adorable. I just had a look through your past posts (I'm way behind in my blogging - sorry) and noticed you made other stars too. I'm looking forward to seeing the tree you made. You've come up with some great ideas.

cindy @ cottage instincts said...

Yes, freaking adorable. I agree. I went to that site and learned how to make soo-to-be-princess Kate have cupcake boobs. A craft I've always wanted to try.

Mel P said...

These are crazy adorable! My mind is racing with the possibilities...

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks absolutely beautiful! and tedious, so props to you for getting it done! :)

Trisha said...

How funny-I just made some of those yesterday too after seeing them in the Pottery Barn catalog! Great minds think alike!!

~Trisha

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Totally cute and adorable!

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Morning Suzanne....!

As ALWAYS I LOVE your projects & this one is a BEAUTY....Mr SVJ & I are having our big 'clean up' this weekend getting Casa de SVJ ready for the Christmas break....Once I've popped the cleaing stuff away I think it might be nice to sit at the table with a glass (or three) of wine & see if I can't make my own SWEET garland....!!

Enjoy the rest of the week my Friend....!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

gina3 said...

Well those are just the cutest thing ever! I don't know if my poor fine motor coordination will allow me to make some but they are cute!

The Frosted Gardner said...

Oh goodness! I love this garland! Seriously love love. It is beautiful. Great job.

Suveliina said...

Those are looking cute Suzanne! Thanks for the tip! Have a great day!!

Esther@fleurcottage said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! :)

Roselle said...

That is soooo precious!
Visiting from Time Travel Thursday.
Roselle

Lindy said...

How cute. I love your little stars and the the way you strung them. Great tutorial - I'm going to try this!

Amy Kinser said...

I love this garland! Great idea..great job!

Cassie said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing....cannot wait to make these!!

Lucy Designs said...

Love these! Great Job!

Meg said...

This is so stinkin' cute! I love it! I'm definitely trying these out. Thanks for the tutorial or else I'd never figure it out! :)

Bettymnz4 said...

I'm your newest follower. This craft looks intriguing to me; I'll be trying it. Thanks!!

Kathy said...

I just love this garland -you are so creative

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Ack! This is soooo adorable I can barely stand it! You have far more patience than I ever would but look at the result! So fun. :)

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Inspire Me Heather said...

Hi! I used your tutorial to make my own puffy stars and they look fantastic - thanks! I linked this to my "book pages" post too with my picture of the puffy stars!

Brambleberry Cottage said...

What a wonderful idea, Suzanne! I haven't seen that take on sheet music before. I'll have to store your tutorial in my brain for next year. ;)

Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to having you join me each week.

Please be sure to come by and enter my fantastic year-end giveaway. Click the picture in my sidebar for details.

By the way, I just joined you as a follower.

Blessings and a very Merry Christmas!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Jenn Erickson said...

Absolutely perfect! I love crafting with vintage sheet music, and your project is original and adorable! Thank you! Beautifully done tutorial too!

SweetMelissa said...

Love these! Over from JunkFest, where Cassie just shared hers and the link to your tutorial.

time worn interiors said...

These are great!
Theresa
aka:tot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...