Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Tough Guy Chest With Girly Girl Drawers

Sounds like a movie about a weight lifting cross dresser, doesn't it? 
It's not.
Remember when I showed you these?
 I had a tough time cleaning them up.
They were used in a shop of some kind, and there was grease and grime all over the insides of the drawers. 
Tamarah, of Shabby Vintage Junk told me how to clean them. I thought I'd share her tip with you.
"I just wanted to send you a quick note re your difficulty cleaning the oil from your YUMMY drawers....I don't know if you know & if you forgive me for blathering pointlessly if you do but the BEST thing I find for cleaning oil from wood is methylated spirits....I put it UNDILUTED in a spray bottle & use liberally....I tend to use a scrubbing brush while I'm squirting it & then hose off the grime before washing down with sugar soap (detergent if you don't have SS over there) & a sponge....!
Works like a treat EVERY time & I'm NEVER put off from buying or salvaging oily items....!!"
If only I'd checked my email sooner, and I could have perfectly clean drawer innards!
I had already decoupaged the insides of the drawers with some pretty paper just so I could stand to put things in them, but cleaning them with Tamarah's method would have been ideal.
I'll give you a peek at my drawers. (hehehe)
The top drawer. And the least matchy matchy drawer. 
My daughter helped me, so it was a lot of fun. We used scrapbook paper.
We just did a random patchwork of paper.
Did you notice the silver handle? Yeah. I removed the paint from the top drawers and now I know why they were painted. They weren't brass like the others. I want them to all be brass!
I found these online, 
and they might work, but I think I might wait and see if some turn up that are more authentic.
This is my favorite drawer. And the only pink one. Some of the paper went on smoother than the others. I decided to be philosophical about that.
A few wrinkles never hurt anyone.
I ran out of Mod Podge part way through. I didn't want to drive 15 miles to get more, so I just used plain old school glue and watered it down a little bit. 4 to 1 was a pretty good ratio.
So now I have these really kick-butt looking stacked chests of drawers, with really girly looking insides.
I like them, but next time I'm taking Tamarah's advice. 
I'm almost done organizing, and I'll show you where I put these when I'm done. Someone is sleeping in that room, so I have to wait until said person goes home. Not that I'm kicking them out the door or anything. 

Thanks for reading!
 

8 comments:

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

:)
great job on your drawers! ohh, don't kick anyone out! We'll wait (impatiently) but we'll wait!
gail

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love the inside of the drawers, great idea and great tip too!

poindextr said...

wow - very nice job. Big transformation! Love it.

Jane said...

Love the inside of tehe drawers - can't wait to see the entire piece once you are finished!

Jane

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Yayyyyyy Suzanne the insides of the drawers look GREAT....Bugger though with the modge podge....If you were a LITTLE bit closer you could have used the HUGE bottle Santa got me for Christmas....hahahahaha....!!

I have my fingers crossed you come across some PERFECT vintage brass cup handles....!!!!!

Cheers for now Lovey,
Tamarah :o)

NanaDiana said...

Those are darling papered. Now what the heck is sugar soap? I probably couldn't use it because I would be eating it halfway through. I hope you can find some brass cup handles..although the online ones don't look too bad either. Hugs-Diana

☞ ⒶⓃⓃⒺ ☜ said...

All that hard work paid off very nicely!!! Can't wait to see what kind of handles you come up with...may the search begin!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

What a cool old chest! Love what you did with the drawers- they're so colorful and full of personality.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...