Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Finished!

Or, unfinished.
Finally!
We had one nice day this week. I could actually work outside and use the hose. So I stripped the rest of the paint off!
The lid wasn't that hard, back when I did that. Weeks and weeks ago.
I just used Citristrip and did it in the house. I washed it all off in the sink. No big deal. But the body of the can itself was a whole other story.
Citristrip doesn't work very well on acrylic or oil paint. It's slow and the paint mostly just smears around and then sets up before you can get everything off. So I got that super powered Jasco gel stuff and had all the paint removed and the entire thing hosed off in less than an hour.
(if you use that stuff, be sure to wear gloves. It stings like a bee if you get it on your skin)
 Then I found a font that I thought looked stencilly and kind of rough. I used an X-acto knife and made a stencil out of it, sprayed the back with some adhesive, and stenciled the number onto the can and the lid. I scratched a little off so it wouldn't look so new.
 That seriously only took 10 minutes!
 Why H-5? That was the number that used to be on the cans. It was the brand my in-laws used on their cattle, and it was their milk number when they had a dairy. 
I was sad to see that someone had taken a wire brush to this milk can before it was painted. All the rust was removed. 
(I know. A crime of EPIC proportions! It can't be undone)
So let's recap.
This
and this
is now this
and this. 
I'm sure some people aren't going to think this is an improvement. 
But I do. It's like this thing can breath now. It can be what it is. An old milk can.
I just need to decide where to put it.

Thanks for reading!




 


23 comments:

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Love it! Much better :)

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Looks so much better than the before!!! It would look great with some rust =( over time!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

it looks awesome, suzanne! i love it!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Definitely an improvement! Glad you did it.

Sheri Howard said...

Much better, I could never understand that "paint the milk can" era? Love the H-5!!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

yay! I love it now that it can be "itself" and breathe! :)
great job suzanne!
gail

Dagmar said...

This definatley looks like Farm Chicks material..what a great reveal! what were they thinking removing all the rust? you did a great rescue job!

A Vintage Vine said...

OMGosh....you did a bang up job on that! Love it! I always shy away from tying to work with painted metal items not any more...thanks for showing us how!

Ginger@cottageonrosewood said...

I love it. I have a similar jug with the old paint on it and I think I would much rather have it like this. I just might have to try it. Awesome job!

kelly said...

love it!! you're awesome.

poindextr said...

very , very nice - that's a lot of work, but so worth it! Glad you restored the H-5 branding. :)

Ido said...

It looks very pretty, I'm happy that you finally decided what to do with the milk can. Love it!
XXXX Ido

Laurel said...

Looks great! My parents have a fancy painted can like that...they "tried" to give it to me but it wasn't "quite" my style ;) I never would have thought to remove the painting...hmmmm...now you've got me thinking :)
Take care, Laurel

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

i think it is a fabulous improvement! love!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

I love it!! I'm getting ready to strip a metal tray that my sister gave me. Your milk can is just perfect inspiration!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I think it's a huge improvement. I know someone lovingly painted it but I love it in all it's nakedness! The stencil was a great touch too.

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

I love it Suzanne! I always think of painting things but never "unpainting" them. Excellent post!
Susan

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I love what you did with it. Absolutely the best thing that could have happened to that poor old can. Nice font you found and the branding means so much to you, all that more special.

Hope your having a wonderful day!

gina3 said...

Oh it's an improvement; an amazing improvement! I love it like that and with the stencil. Looks like farmhouse met industrial and had a little cutie!

NanaDiana said...

Suzanne- I think it looks pretty good actually without the rust. It reminds me of home and how we would have to keep those things CLEAN...and my father pulling them in and out of hte old milk tanks that held them full of milk stored in the cold water. He had 5 hernia surgeries over the years he farmed-from handling those things! It looks good! xxoo Diana

Lori said...

So perfect, I love it.

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Wow, it looks like it would have taken a lot longer to strip off the paint. I have a milk can I found at the curb, painted yellow with birds on it. ick. You're making me think I should try stripping. ;)
Love your meaningful stencil.

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Suzanne I LOVE this makeover....Next time I see a HORRIDLY painted milk can (WHY do people do this I HAVE to ask) I'm gonna open my purse & take a chance....!!

....hahahahaha....Couldn't AGREE more re the paint stripper....I've TRIED to use the citrus stuff....It's Earth friendly, pet friendly but it's also bloody PAINT friendly & lengthens ANY paint stripping project TEN FOLD....GO the STINGY stuff I say....!!

Cheers for now Lovey,
Tamarah :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...