Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ginormous Flowers


I made these ginormous flowers for my daughter's baby shower. They're going to be taped to the wall behind the table that will hold all the food.
My friend Yanet from 3 Sun Kissed Boys sent me this link,
and as soon as I saw the tutorial, I knew I wanted to make some paper flowers for the baby shower. I changed a few things to get a different look for my flowers.
The original tutorial shows flowers with pleated petals and curled paper centers. They're adorable, but not exactly what I wanted. 
Here's how I made mine.
I drew my petal shape on a piece of stiff scrapbook paper. It's really more like cardstock.
I cut out the shape, and used it for a template for the other petals. I used a full sheet for each petal on the large flowers, and I cut two petals per sheet for the smaller flowers.
6 petals per flower.
 I rolled up the petals so they'll have some shape.
Then I made a center cut straight up from the bottom to make some tabs. I cut about 4 inches up.
I fired up my glue gun, and overlapped the bottom where I cut it, gluing them in place. (The more you overlap the tabs, the more the petals will stand up.)
Then I started gluing the petals together. 3 on the bottom, three on top of those.
(This is a really crappy picture, but it's the only one I took of all 6 petals glued into place.)  
You'll want to fold the petals back a little to give the flowers some dimension. I didn't worry about little creases and dimples. They're what give the petals their shape.
I also made some leaves. Take an X-Acto knife and score the center of the leaves and that way you'll get a nice crisp fold up the middle. Don't cut too far, just score the paper. I curled the tips back just a little, too.
Then I spray painted the flowers 2 different shades of pink, and the leaves green. It probably would have been easier to use colored paper, but I just used what I had.
I used my Cricut to cut out the black centers and hot glued them into place.
I'm really happy with how they turned out! They come together really quick, so it's a fast, fun project. I have one more coral pink big flower, but the paint was still wet when it was time for pictures. I think they'd look cute on the nursery wall later on.

What do you think? 




36th Avenue




23 comments:

kathie said...

Those are SO precious!!! I love them! They would be super-cute for a little girl's birthday party too… I'm saving this post for sure :) Thanks!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I'm so glad you did them!! They are adorable. I love the idea of using them in the nursery. So sweet.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

These are super cute! What a fun idea.

Dagmar said...

Those are some great looking baby's shower flowers.. They look like you had a lot of fun making them..I agree they would look good in the nursery later on.
ox

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

those are SO FUN!!! i feel like they belong in alice in wonderland- adorable!

Stella Pearl Photography said...

Oh. My Heart. I LOVE THEM!

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

sosososososo cute!

Angela said...

Wonderful!! Yours and hers!

NanaDiana said...

I'm not sure if my comment went through or not..some weird thing came up when I tried to post it- UGH...LOVE your flowers-they are perfect as a backdrop! xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

I think they are darling. Love it- you did a great job spray painting them..and I think by painting them they got a sheen on them too. What a great backdrop for a shower- well, shower-shower- not the bath type!;>) xo Diana

Something Nice and Pretty said...

They are adorable and would look great on a nursery wall too! Your daughter will love them and I also like the idea of spray painting them:)

gina3 said...

So cute! They would look good in a nursery, maybe hanging in a corner by string or something.

Antonella said...

Oh WOW!!! These are so cute and so large!!! So glad I followed you here from A Diamond in the Stuff Link Party! I'm also linking up if you'd like to drop by!
Hugs, antonella :-)
http://quilling.blogspot.com/2011/06/filigree-friday-free-graduation.html

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

These posies are a big splash of FUN! Your daughter will love them... and so will everyone else!
You have a really inspiring blog. I have spent more time than I should have here. But you have great inspirational posts!
I am a new follower!
Yvonne

Lorie said...

They are amazing! I am going to share a link tomorrow!

Two Shades of Pink said...

How stinkin fun are these flowers??????? I clicked on your link but I absolutely LOVE yours! Your GINORMOUS flowers totally rock! Love!

Paty said...

I love them... in september, my boy will be 2 and the party theme: Le Little Prince - from Exupery... and this tutorial is amazing... and of course I'll use to make the little prince's red rose

Desiree @ The 36th Avenue said...

LOVE FLOWERS! What a cute idea. I'd love for you to share it at my link party. Awesome tutorial too ;)

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

cute flowers,, cant wait to see how you use them for the shower. I have two baby showers and a bridal shower in the very near future and im looking for inspiration.

Jenni said...

I have just started planning a baby shower for a friend of mine and I can only hope that she is having a girl so that I can make these for the shower. Maybe, I will just go ahead and make them for my daughter. Totally awesome!
Jenni
kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

Denise said...

That paper does not look spray painted, at least if I was the one that did it! I found you on The 36th Avenue's Let's Party #5. I love creative people and this project is why so I decided to follow you. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

Jenn Erickson said...

Suzanne, those flowers are absolutely wonderful! I haven't seen any decorations like them before, but I'm sure that they'll be catching on like wildfire now! I love that you're able to use large scrapbook pages, and thereby have an amazing range of colors, patterns, and even textures. Brilliant!

Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

Jenn

steph801 said...

This is kind of a random question but, what is the paint color on your walls? I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...