Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Take a Hike

We went on a hike last week, to City of Rocks. It's not far from our house, and I've heard it's famous with those who climb rocks.
It's an interesting place. Those rocks are all like towers, and most of them are HUGE!
The wind has carved out some interesting shapes.
I thought this one was cool.
And there were plenty of "Awkward Family Photo" moments. Most of which you will not see. 
(You really should check out that website, though. It's always good for a laugh.)
My kids loved it here. I'm not a fan of heights, so it all just made me really nervous.

This was the worst! I kept imagining someone sliding off. I like my kids in one piece, so that wasn't fun. 
This was my favorite part of the hike. I'd love something like this in my backyard.
It rained while we were there. A lot. Enough to make me glad I didn't wear the white t-shirt I'd planned on wearing. 
Even standing on the ground and looking up gave me vertigo.
There's some really old graffiti here, too. Most from the late 1800's. 

It was a good day. I'm really glad we went, since school starts here on Monday! 
I'm not sure we really had a summer!

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that is stunning! i love hiking and that looks like a beautiful hike!

Inspire Me Heather said...

It looks gorgeous there!

Red Gate Farm said...

It looks like a beautiful place and I can see why it would be popular. I, however, am like you... I don't do heights. I get vertigo just looking a pictures these days!

~Chris

PS I like my kids in one piece too ;)

Sara @ thesherlockshome said...

I love the stone staircase...it would be so awesome in a garden. I'm finding that, as I age, I'm becoming more and more nervous about heights. As a kid, I used to cartwheel across the top of monkey bars, and climb the biggest trees I can find - now I'm nervous if I have to go above the third rung on a ladder.

Dagmar said...

That's why they are kids and you are the mom.....they are fearless...I bet you are glad to have spent a day hiking with them...and that stream and rocks gave you kore DIY ideas..as if you needed any more..it was a great post!
ox

Ido said...

What a beautiful place! I have a stone staircase in my garden, but it is too little, only four steps, but I like it.
Wishing you a happy day!
XXX Ido

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Those are such great shots Suzanne! Heights give me the willies too. I was a little woozy looking at that one shot with the kids near the edge. Eeek! Hate that. I would love to have some of those rock to decorate my yard with!

Rosie said...

These photos are so beautiful Suzanne! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day! Thanks also for that funny link :-) You with that white t-shirt in the rain would have made a nice contribution there ;-)

gail said...

Great photos! I love the interesting shapes. The sky looks beautiful too!
see, I have walmart and target, you have great big rocks and beautiful blue sky!
gail

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. I'm with you, though...heights...yuck. I'm not sure where our summer went, either. What a great way to spend the day!

Essay Writing said...

Stunning photography you have done... Thanks for updating...

laxsupermom said...

What an amazing place! I've always loved rock climbing & bouldering and have some pics of me climbing with WD in a backpack when he was just a babe. That looks like a terrific place to visit with the boys. Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

Emily@TheWickerHouse said...

Thanks for this post, we have thought about camping here. Looks like a fun little place. Do you happen to know about camping in the area?

Essay Writing said...

Stunning photography you have done...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...