Friday, September 30, 2011

I Need Numbers!

I found the picture of this clock on Pinterest. It was instant love for me.
Pinned Image
I wondered if I could make one like it. But you know~I really don't have room for one that big. I wish I did. 
 But I do have this clock that stopped working, and some tongue and groove planks that were left over from this project, and this one, and this one.
So I took out the clock mechanism and glued the planks to the clock. It was necessary to do this on our freezer. 
(Because my worktable is too cluttered low to use.)I used a bucket of wheat to weigh it down, and left it overnight.
 Then I cut the planks about two inches larger than the clock just using a jigsaw. The side pieces were a little loose to I re-glued them and clamped them. And left it overnight.
 Then I sanded the edges and wiped on some walnut stain. I decided I didn't want my clock to be white, 
so I used this color instead.
  I just dry brushed it one using one of these paint brushes.

They're great for dry brushing because they're kind of thin raggedy little brushes anyway, and easy to make sure you only have a little paint on the brush.
Then I went over the whole thing with this stain.
Pickled oak.
And that's how it looked close up.

The pickled oak stain gave it a little bit of shine, which I didn't want, 
So I gave it two coats of this.

And that's as far as I got. I need some numbers, and I want some that look like this.
But so far I haven't been able to find out how to get any. Besides the obvious. And I'm sure that isn't legal. Besides, I'd need a ladder, and that would be sure to call attention. The headlines would be ugly, I'm sure.

I had one reader guess the length of that couch to the inch! Korrie from Red Hen Home correctly guessed 98 inches!  Get me your address, Korrie, and I'll mail you a little surprise.

Have a great weekend, everyone! 

22 comments:

High Street Cottage said...

I love it so far, check the hardware stores, the old fashioned kind like Orchard or True Value for the numbers Suzanne. I have two large clocks in my home and drove by a large round table top near a dumpster for ages before deciding it's just too big, wanting to make another. You really have done a good job. The table top I was going to use was the top of one of those cable reels. Already rustic , but it was just too huge! Can't wait to see yours finished.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

the clock is going to be sooo cool! wish i was more of a help with the numbers, but i just googled and searched and didn't find anything either. do you know anyone who works for a power company? might be able to get some that way!

laxsupermom said...

Love how it's looking so far! And don't get me started on what the work bench looks like. That's why you always see in progress projects in my great room. Can't wait to see the big reveal!

Red Gate Farm said...

LOVE the clock idea.... there are some numbers by "Tim Holz" that you can find on etsy and amazon...they look alot like the ones you have pictured... not sure of their size though.

Can't wait to see it on the wall!

~Chris

Roxanne said...

Looking good:) I am in love with clocks. Stop by and see my recently finished "Not Even A Number clock".
www.beverlysandhills.blogspot.com
Have an amazing weekend.
Blessings
Roxanne

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Love that clock! I can see why you want to make one. Yours is turning out great so far. Can't wait to see it when you have it finished.
Have a wonderful weekend!

afistfullofweeds* said...

Hey I found those exact numbers at ACE Hardware here in Alabama...I have used them on bottles. Rhonda

Dagmar said...

Suzanne, why not call the power company and see where they buy those numbers f rom...it is an amazing clock!
xo

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Love your clock so far! The numbers might be available on etsy...but you probably already thought of that ;) I can't wait to see it finished! Have a great weekend!

Emily@TheWickerHouse said...

Oh I'm sure you'll come up with something. I can't wait to see it when it's all done.
Now I'm off to see if I can find you on pinterest, Want to re-pin your pins.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I can't wait to see it all done, what you have done so far is great! I'm sure you'll find just the right numbers...maybe Walmart or Lowes?

Ido said...

Love that clock, can't wait to see it finished!!!
Enjoy your weekend!
XXX Ido

COTTAG3 said...

That's going to be a super cool clock when you finish with it. Since I follow you on Pinterest, I know you've found some ideas about where to find some numbers. I think you could cut some out and do some sort of treatment like you did with the faux porcelain number tags that were all chipped and we all couldn't believe they weren't real...remember those? You could do something like that and make your own numbers. Your creative like that :)

Roseanna said...

You are amazing...I just love that clock!! Check out Hobby Lobby, they have all kinds of letters and numbers. Why not collect them as you find them, not all matching? Great job on this project,

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

It looks fabulous so far, Suzanne! What about using different kinds of fonts for numbers? Start collecting house numbers here and there like in garage/ estate sales, on sale at HD or Lowe's.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

How exciting! I will e-mail you my address. And I love the progress you've made on the clock! HOW did you cut your circle so perfectly?

C'est Magnifique said...

The clock is looking great! There are some numbers available on Etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/82366825/vintage-0-9-hardware-store-metal-numbers?ref=sr_gallery_17&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=metal+numbers&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage That's just the first one that popped up when I searched in the vintage category for metal numbers. Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished clock!

Tania

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Hope you find the numbers soon. I love the finish you did on those boards! Never would have thought to add the pickled oak to the top.
How did you get the matte spray on so evenly? I always get cloudy spots when I use it.
grrrr

A Cottage Muse said...

What a great project Suzanne!
I would scour ebay and etsy for numbers.
If you decide to use all different ones I have a 4 you can have!!

hilary @ the upcycle furniture co. said...

that is going to be amazing!

gail said...

I missed this post... looking back at the date, now I know why. That's the weekend that jamie came to town, and everything came to a screeching hault!
great job on the planks! I know where you get your numbers from, because I didn't MISS that post!
hopping over now to see the finished project!
gail

Chandra said...

I realize this post is several years old, but if anyone is looking for those Aluminum Power Pole markers, here is a company that sells them. http://www.premaxlp.com/products/pole_markers/roman/roman_pole_markers.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...