Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guest Post~Going A Little Coastal

Today's guest post is brought to you by Anita from Going a Little Coastal. She's funny, she's nice, she's creative
(her fabulous craft room)
[memo%2520board_edited-1%255B7%255D.jpg]
what's not to like? I hope that someday, I can meet her in real life.

Hi!  I’m Anita and I blog over at Going a little Coastal.

I'm so glad to be here at Meridian Road. Suzanne and I started blogging around the same time and we made an instant connection even though we are many miles apart.  She is in the country and I’m near the coast but yet we both gravitate to the same style. And I’m always jealous of what she finds in her neck of the woods.

I used to decorate a lot for Halloween. But now my kids are bigger and there is no one here to get excited about it. I sort of miss that. But I wanted to do a little something so I came up with these candle covers. Some for Halloween, some for Fall.

halloween candles copy

I had the supplies on hand. I did run out of the double stick tape.
Always the case around here when I decide to start something.

The tall clear glass candle holders were picked up from the thrift store. Straight sided ones make it easiest. The short ones are empty Glade candles. I couldn’t just throw out the glass holders.
And I’m addicted to the apple and cinnamon one so I have quite a few.
They are frosted and the sides are not quite straight. Made it a little harder to wrap but not bad.

supplies copy

I found the graphics online. The Halloween ones are from Clipartpal.com.
Here are the links for the bats and the black cat.

The words I just made with photoshop elements. But you can use any word program.
I’m getting addicted to collecting fonts.

halloween candles2 copy

Some tips when working with vellum. 
Set your printer to fast or however you make a quick copy so that it uses less ink. 
It will dry faster. 
Also, make sure you have clean hands as it does pick up oils easily. 
Even from the candles, as I soon learned.

halloween candles3 copy

I think they turned out pretty cool. The taller one does need a taller candle. 
I just have those little metal covered votives in them. Or you can use the battery operated ones.

fall candles2 copy

I tried out the Fall trees in color. 
It doesn’t show up quite as well but still gives a bit of color and a soft glow. 
The fall leaves came from HalloweenClipArt.com.  

fall candles copy

They are easy to swap out to other designs because there is just a strip of the double sided tape holding it together in the back. They would look great on the Thanksgiving table or even across the mantel. 
And the design options are endless.
You know what would look cute? 
One letter on each votive. 
Maybe something shorter. 
I don’t think I have that many votives to spell Give Thanks!


halloween candle before copy

Here is what they look like during the day.
Pretty cute.

fall candle before copy 

But the glow you get from them at night is even better.

fall candles3 copy

Thanks so much Suzanne for letting me hang out here with you today!

image


I LOVE the look of those candles! Aren't they pretty? You gave me some ideas for Christmas, too!
Thanks, Anita!

11 comments:

Stitch a Wish Designs said...

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing!!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

this is such a neat idea, anita! i love it!

Red Gate Farm said...

LOVE the candle idea! I'm definitely trying it for November/Thanksgiving!

Suzanne... I've really been enjoying your guest posts! Thanks for sharing with us all...

~Chris

Roseanna said...

Very nice idea...thanks for sharing.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Thanks so much for having me over Suzanne! We would have such a great time together. One day right? Hugs!

gail said...

Anita! Love those candles! thanks for sharing!
gail

Sandy said...

How nice to find Anita over here with her clever idea... I love how the candle glass glows with the designs... I don't think my printer is fast enough to do this but I'll give it a try since I have 4 class holders in the same shape!
Great Idea
Sandy

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I like them even unlit. I've been looking for velum paper (I can't remember for what now) but haven't been able to find any at local stores. Did you find yours online?

A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Anita...nice to meet you!
These are great...thanks for the step by step!

maureen said...

I've done these before, but I really like the way yours turned out, especially the one with the bats.

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Cool project Anita! I'll have to give this a try. Those candles are so cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...