Monday, October 31, 2011

Today's Show and Tell

Have you ever seen one of these before?
I'd heard about them, but I'd never seen one.
I haven't been able to find much information on them (just the patent), but someone told me that these used to be placed in different areas around town or in factories, and the town marshal or a watchman would stick a key in the bottom and that would tell their supervisors that they'd been there and everything was fine.
(Hannibal Lector actually mentions them in one scene in Silence of the Lambs. Don't ask me why I remember that. I'm full of useless trivia.) 
It was just one of those weird things I found and I wanted it. I don't know why.
I think I'll stick it on a wall someplace. No one can ever find the fingernail clippers, so maybe that's where they'll go. 
I found some of these awhile ago, too.
They're nails that used to go in the ends of railroad ties. They stopped using them about 40 years ago.
I heart them. 
Again, I don't know why. 
And I don't know what I'll do with them. 
But they were cheap and too cool to pass up.

So that's it for today's show and tell! Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

These are so cool! I've never even heard of that first item (Silence of the Lambs is too scary for me!) Are these one of your estate sale finds?

COTTAG3 said...

I've never seen the first thing but it is so awesome! It would be great to hide it somewhere around the outside of your house to hold a spare key if you have a super-safe area. The nails are cool. You'll think of something clever to do with them.

Red Gate Farm said...

Cool stuff! I love the unusual... and keeping the nail clippers in that little "box" would be a great idea. Ours are always missing, too!

~Chris

NanaDiana said...

Love that thing. Do you know they still do something similar for fire checks? It is not much more technical than that...it is still a way to "sign off" that the building has been inspected. Your old piece is amazing. I love it, too! And, I have never seen those old railroad nails....very cool! xo Diana

Dagmar said...

very very cool nails..looks like another project just waiting to happen.!
ox

Rosie said...

What cool finds - I love them , too, and totally understand that you love them! :-)

Jamie said...

What fantastic discoveries

toobright said...

Where oh where did you find the old Railroad nails?? I live in the Canyon and Ada County area and have been looking at every auction, estate and yard sale with no luck! Such scores

Vickie said...

What a cool place that would be to place an extra key outside. But then again, now we all know that's what it's for.

Those railroad nails would be fun for milestone birthday gifts packaged in a velvet ring box. Ooooo, our oldest daughter turns 30 on Christmas Day! Maybe I'll just borrow that last photo for her birthday card, if that's alright with you. :@

Still waiting for the blog fairy to fix my commenting problem.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i LOVE those nails! those are awesome!!!!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

You always find the coolest stuff. Loving thosse nails especially!

Proper Prim said...

I fell in love with your Key Station as soon as I saw it, so I went to Ebay and they had one. I made an offer and they accepted I now have one just like it. If you didn't post it I would have missed out on a wonderful treasure. I have never seen anything like that in my 20 years of "Memory Hunting".

Funny enough I purchased 40 of those nails last week for a project I want to make. I had never come across them before either... found them on Ebay while searching for something else. I knew I just had to have them... then I see them on here. Too funny.

Have a great day...

Hugs, Deb

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Seriously, what is it about fingernail clipper? They can never be found here either!

I find that thing really cool. I've never seen them. And those nails are really neat too. You're like me, the odder the better!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love "too cool to pass up" junk!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...