Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chronic Perfectionism

I have it. 
And it's flaring up in a bad way.
I have my cubbies all built.
I had them painted.
The paint was too shiny.
I repainted.
I started on the numbers.
I didn't like them.
I repainted again.
After hitting my head on the wall several times (not really. I just wanted to), I tried a new method of putting the numbers on. I typed some numbers on Photoshop and reversed the image before printing. Then printed it out on waxed paper. I taped my waxed paper to some card stock first.
Then I cut the numbers apart with scissors. I found the center of the shelf, and placed the number so that it looked right side up. Then I just pressed on the paper with my thumb. 
What you get is easy to fill in with craft paint and a small brush. You could just leave it, but the ink smudges.
The method works, but I've made a huge mistake.
I wanted to weep when I realized what I'd done.
Not just cry.
Weep.
Because it's more dramatic. 
I'm sure some of you have already spotted my mistake. 
I think I'm going to leave it, because I am heartily sick of the whole project. 
Really. 
I wanted to burn it yesterday.


So the secret is out.

I'm a perfectionist that can't make things perfect.




Dang it!



17 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i have not spotted any mistakes.... am i a moron? because it looks pretty darn good to me.

NanaDiana said...

Well, I didn't spot it either but I am only on my 2nd cuppa coffee here. Maybe I'll come back after the third cup and look again! It is a really neat piece, Suzanne...and I know how frustrated you must be at this point.....and...knowing you...I'm guessing you won't be able to stand the mistake and will redo it!;>) "Have a good day," she said sweetly~xo Diana

Polly said...

can't figure out what the mistake is. don't think i'd worry about it.....it gives your cubbies their first story!!! you'll smile every time you walk past it!! :-)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I am so sorry! I am very familiar with making mistakes, or at least with having pieces NOT turn out the way I envisioned them--and that's why I sell a lot of things ;-) Take a break, my dear--you need some time away from this project!

Feral Turtle said...

Wow!! Awesome cubbies. You did a fantastic job :D Looking forward to seeing what you fill them with!

Inga´s Haven said...

I think it looks really good - and I´m obviously a tad "slow" since I can´t spot the mistake :/

laxsupermom said...

Oh no! I think it looks great! I know the inspiration pic had the numbers at the base of the cubbies, but there's no reason why you can't have them labeled at the top. I say just go with it.

AntiqueChase said...

I know what you mean about being soooo over a project. I don't see your mistake and I looked and looked. what does that say about me? lol

cindy the cottage chick said...

Oh I soooo relate to that frustration when you just want it to WORK so you can be DONE, goshdarnit. Like all the other bloggers' projects! I for one think it's fabulous, and I supposed after a bit of time you'll either learn to love the imperfection, or you'll get a second wind and fix it. At least that's how it works 'round my neck of the woods :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Put it to rest for a few days and your frustration will have worn off and you can start anew. And now you have the added benefit of having perfecting your new technique. But I do know what you mean about perfectionism. If you leave the numbers "as is" it will bug you FOR EV ER!

If you REALLY want to burn it, wait! I'll send you my mailing address. :@

gail said...

well, I don't see it either, but I agree with the others, take a break. Step.away.from.the.cubbies.and.nobody.gets.hurt. :)
breathe!
gail

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Suzanne, it looks awesome! Whatever the mistake, if it will make you not like the piece, fix it later. Something else will happen if you try to do it when you are already frustrated.

The piece itself is just perfect to me! Love all the cubbies!

Sara @ thesherlockshome said...

Mistakes are a part of EVERY project I make...and they are always glaringly obvious to me, even if no one else sees them. I think, mistake or not, that your cubbies look awesome!

time worn interiors said...

Oh sweetie I feel you pain! As you get older that will start to go away!
tot

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Oh I have so been in your shoes. And lady, you have some tiny feet! I have wanted to take a hammer to many a project. Whatever it is, it's not a mistake. It makes it your own. You might start a whole new way of doing something!

Dagmar said...

You have added your own style to this great DIY...maybe after all the work you have put into it....you will love it for the way it turned out...it is on my honey do list for Jim when we get back to AZ! Ox

Crunchy_Conservative said...

??? It looks great to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...