Tuesday, January 24, 2012

An Ugly Skirt.


Do you like bed skirts? I thought I did. Who wouldn't like this?
source
Crisp, tailored...nice.
Or this?
source
Full and flouncy and romantic looking.
Mine wasn't any of those things.


Cheap to begin with. Old. Limp. Too short. 
(Really. The carpet is enough ugly for one room.)
And for some reason, I always think I can stash more under the bed when there's a skirt on it. Most of it just useless junk.
I decided to get rid of the skirt when
I saw this on Pinterest.
Pinned Image
Which led me here.
Since our bed has side rails and a solid footboard, I didn't have to do a full upholstery job. Just the sides and around the front and back about 8 inches.
I had this aqua drapery panel that was 96" long. It was some kind of velveteen or uncut corduroy.



None of my windows are tall enough to require drapes that long. There was also only one panel so I nominated it to be upholstery fabric. I then seconded the nomination and held a vote. Which went the way I had hoped it would. 

We have a king size bed with two box springs. They had to be moved to the other end of the house so I'd have room to do this.
I just placed the panel over the first box spring, and cut it to size. No measuring. I left the lining in place. 
And then I got busy stapling with this.
My Arrow ETFX50 T50 Electric Staple Gun. If you don't have an air compressor and you want to upholster something, this gun is a good alternative. You have to use some pressure when you're stapling, but it works. For something like this, though, even hot glue would probably work just fine.
This is how I did the corners. Easy. I was a stapling queen. I breezed through it in about 20 minutes.
And then.....Oh. Crap. Even if I scooted the mattress over more, the staples still showed. (I started pulling them out before I even got a picture. But they showed.) Not really the look I was going for. 
So I pulled them all out, and placed the new staples back farther.


After the re-do (which is usually how my projects go) this is how it looks with the bed (partially) made.


And this is how it looks when the maid turns down the bed. (You'll notice there's no mint on the pillow. Maybe we should fire her and buy new carpet instead. Honestly, most days she doesn't even make the bed.)

It's not a new idea, but it's easy and fast and I really like how it looks. And it was a lot cheaper than buying a new bed skirt.

Thanks for reading!

Pin It

17 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i just love this idea! it looks clean and "done" and now sloppy at all!

NanaDiana said...

I have the same problem with those side rail things and they way the box spring shows drives me nuts. This looks great! xo Diana

Kathleen at Rose Prairie said...

My skirt looks like your old one, maybe I should do this too. I like the look. Like you I'm good with a stapler. Great job, thank you

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Great use of the panels. I love the color too!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very nice! And one good thing--if you HAD used a pneumatic stapler, those misplaced staples would have been murder to get out again!

Polly said...

interesting! I like it!!

however, I'm a bedskirt girl! I like them all flouncy and ruffly. Although I will tell you, I do not like the cat and dog hair that sticks to it as they go under there to hide. it has to be washed a lot!!

i love that you are so daring and willing to try things. i strive to be more like that!!

cindy the cottage chick said...

I swear we are twins separated at birth. As I was working down the post I thought "I'd prolly put the staples in upside down or something" *snicker*

You're a lucky dog to have bed rails and stuff. I have to have a skirt to cover the 1970's metal frame I inherited. And my carpet would look fabulous with yours. Maybe they'll find themselves in a landfill together someday and make a beautiful life together.

Josie said...

I don't have a bed skirt either. They never look like the magazines when you get them on your bed. Your idea is a lot better but I simply use a fitted sheet to cover my box springs.

June said...

Suzanne what an awesome idea. I have got to do this in the guest room, because the bed in there won't do bedskirts very well. Thanks so much for the great solution!
hugs...

Shabby Soul said...

I love how simple this is and how "neat" it looks! I like stashing junk under my bed, too!

Sherri said...

Sounds like a great idea to refresh your bed skirts or I guess I should say to replace them!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I saw this on pinterest and thought it was a neat idea but I have those rails so can't do it. I love how yours looks thought:)

Rondell♥

time worn interiors said...

I love that idea! Thanks for sharing! I might try that in burlap!
tot

gail said...

Suzanne! Great post about the non-bedskirt! Yours looks great! IF I could do mine, I'd probably use drop cloths! cause I love 'em. But alas, I have those metal rails.
gail

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You mean my fuzz bunnie infested bedskirt isn't hiding my stash under the bed?! I'd go upstairs and check it out, but I don't need any more projects at this time.

You are very brave showing the mistakes you make along the way. I just pretend it turned out perfectly the first time. :@

Sam said...

I love it! I remember seeing that on Pinterest, too and thinking AH - that's what I should have done instead of sewing a box spring cover. Duh! Your new latest project is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

A Cottage Muse said...

I like it...looks very neat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...