Friday, February 17, 2012

Door Decisions


So in this hallway I'm going to makeover, we have 4 doors. One is a pocket door to the bathroom that looks like this door. We'll call it Door #1.

The other three are the cheapest of the cheap kind of hollow core doors. They will be replaced, and two of them will be on barn door tracks. (YAY!) The other one will be a traditional door with a doorknob.
Part of me says go with the same 5 panel doors that are on the bathroom, for the sake of continuity.
But!
 I found this style of door, and it costs about the same as the 5 panel door. We'll call it Door #2. I like it~it looks more barn~ish to me.  So here are my questions. Should I go with door #1 for all 3 doors? Should the sliding doors be Door #2, and the regular door be like Door #1? Or should all three doors be like Door #2? 
The bathroom door that's the 5 panel style like Door #1 is almost always slid into the wall so you don't see it much, and they'll all be painted white no matter with style I go with. As great as wood stained doors would look, that hallway is way to dark for that.  

What do you think?




Pin It

13 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i am definitely a pocket door gal- i like the first one better! it is just more of a classic to me! :)

Dagmar said...

I like variety..and of course follow your heart❤..you will choose the one that right for your project!
Xo

Sam said...

Yew, that's a tough one. I agree, door #2 is more barn-ish and would look fabulous on tracks, but so would door #1. I, too, like variety -- I'm not much help, I'd make a terrible designer. Whichever one you choose will look great, they're both very good looking doors.

Jaime said...

Suzanne I vote 5 panel #1 for sure, classic, old school love. If I were replacing all the doors (wish!) I would be using those door for certain.

Jess said...

I love Door #2! Perfect for everything you want to do. It's a little twist but still very classic to me.

Ironstone and Pine said...

hmmm....I see your delemma, both are very nice and sooo much better than the standard boring version. Door number one definitely reminds me of what was used in older vintage houses.....and Im a bit of a stickler for keeping things continuous and using the same throughout....but honestly it's really personal preference; I think if it doesn't bother you to have things mixed and you like door number 2 you should go on and use it. if you love the look of a certain style you should use that where you can see and enjoy it :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I vote for dressing in black and visiting the neighborhood farms at night.

Just kidding...sort of. I wouldn't worry as long as they are all painted the same color. But you wouldn't take my advice if you read what Betsy Speert had to say to me! Oy vay!!

NanaDiana said...

I would probably keep them all the same, Suzann, but that is just me. I guess I always have an eye towards resale and that helps me make some decisions. Good luck figuring it out- No matter WHAT choice you make it will be perfect for you- xo Diana

Crunchy_Conservative said...

I like them both, and I think they would work well, if you want to mix styles. However, if I was going to use a solid paint, I would paint the center panels of door #1 just a shade or two darker for a bit of eye-catchiness.

If you really want to keep a "barn" look without darkening your space, what about using a silvery-grey or light beige whitewash-style paint to give it the look of bleached wood? It would still be light, but it would give it so much personality!

Have fun with it! I'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful.

Cheers,
Sarah

Christine said...

I like door #1 the best. I also like the idea of painting the panels a different color.

Cute, cute wreaths!

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh Lovey I'm not gonna be any help at all as I dream have having all DIFFERENT peely paint doors with the ONLY common theme being that they are vintage AND solid....!!!!!

Good luck with your decision....**wink**....!!!!

Cheers,
Tamarah :o)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love the first door. I think I'd go with all the same. I do love that you are hanging some! I would love that!

Jenna said...

love, love, LOVE door #1...don't really care for door #2, it looks too modern to me, like something you'd find in a city loft somewhere...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...