Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How To Chip Paint

I've been reading about this method for awhile now, so I decided to try it on my cabinet. 
You use Vaseline.

 I found chips that were already on the cabinet, and painted other areas with the same colors. 

(I know, HOLY GOLD, right? Apparently, it wasn't just popular in the 70's. It was one of the bottom layers of paint~I'm guessing sometime in the 40's?)
Some of the existing paint chips were close to the blue gray I used on the back of the cabinet. 
Once the paint dried, I rubbed some Vaseline on it. I stuck to the edges, and made sure it wasn't an even coat. You want some glops and some smoother areas. Then I painted over that with the top color.
Then I let that dry. Most of the paint came off just by rubbing the area with a dry paper towel. I used my fingernails on some parts.
 It turned out to be pretty convincing. The top picture is of some original chipping.
 This is a chipped part that I added.
This is how it looks when I just rubbed the paint off.
I really like this method. I think it looks more convincing than just sanding a piece to distress it, and the paint comes off more easily than using wax or soap.

Have you ever used Vaseline to distress a paint finish?




Pin It

16 comments:

Angela said...

Your results look super! I've always heard the 40's gold referred to as "mustard".

Betsy said...

Love this idea. I've heard about it before, but have never tried it. I think it's about time! Thanks for sharing your beautiful chippy paint job.

Weathered Treasure said...

ooooo...I love it! I've knew about the soap technique but didn't know you could use vaseline. I think I will try it on the next project. Great paint job. Your blog is awesome! I'm Following you.

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Hi there!,
It took me a bit to figure this out, but yes, it looks much more authentic. Great look!

Roseanna said...

This looks really great, Suzanne. Like you I have seen it around, but never tried it. Your cabinet is the "bees knees"!!

NanaDiana said...

No! I never even heard of using that method. I actually think your method looks more original than the original!!! Great job, Suzanne- xo Diana

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It looks like it was pulled out of Grandpappy's barn looking like that. Very convincing! I'll have to remember this. Or better yet, pin it!

COTTAG3 said...

I use vaseline all the time. It's so easy and works great.
Yours looks really authentic!

June said...

I have used this method before on some of my pieces. It is a great way to shabby up a piece. I love that cabinet and boy are you ever lucky I don't have your address or you might just get up some morning to a bare wall : ) It is amazing!!!
Sending big hugs...

A Cottage Muse said...

I've never tried this but can't wait to! I think it looks great!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

oh yes, I heard about this method in an art book. I've done it on canvas and it's pretty cool to see the vaseline do it's job.

The Painted Parlor said...

I never have used Vaseline but I know Keeley at European Finishes does and their pieces are all gorgeous!! I love your 'new' cabinet in your dining room and am secretly jealous of your handy husband and dad.

Jamie said...

What a great discovery!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Never heard of it, thanks for sharing this technique. It looks just like the real thing!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I have not used vaseline before. Other then to take off my mascara. I'm curious though, when you paint over it how does it not smear in your paintbrush?

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

I never would have thought of doing this to furniture.
BUT...I must say I've heard of it and have used it. Years ago after I was first married. The Hubby and I --being dirt poor, would run to K-mart and each pick out a cheap 'model car kit' (all plastic) and we'd put them together on Saturday night-- sometimes we'd spray paint them a different color- any parts we didn't want spray painted, got covered in vaseline. When it was dry, we'd rub it off and TA-DAH!

Two tone dragster with racing strips!

How fun to see you doing this...it certainly brought back fond memories for me! Now, If I just had all those models, I wonder what they'd be worth on Ebay?
LOL...

Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...