Friday, October 26, 2012

Guest Post~Brenda from cottage4c

Today's guest blogger is so creative and so stylish! She lives in the most charming stone cottage~you have to go look!
She's showcasing some great projects today, and I hope you'll all pop over to her blog and check out her blog. 

Hi! I'm Brenda from cottage4c. I'm so excited to be guest posting for Suzanne here at Meridian Road today. I love Suzanne's style and her awesome sense of humor. And I envy her farm life! I share her love of vintage - especially if it's something that I can re-purpose to better suit our needs. A lot of my projects are inspired by necessity. I needed a new, smaller footstool for my living room, so I made this: (Disclaimer - any time I claim that 'I' made something, chances are that my sweet husband Kevin had at least a small hand in the process!) We started a bathroom remodel, and since it's a tiny bathroom we chose to install a sliding barn-style door. Here's our finished product: I also love to figure out inexpensive solutions to decorating dilemmas. A mini kitchen makeover has been on my to-do list for a while. New appliances were not in the budget, so I decided on DIY treatments for the refrigerator and dishwasher instead. Here's our updated refrigerator... And here's our updated dishwasher... I am in love with how this turned out! I wanted to make it look like part of the cabinetry, so we started with a piece of beadboard paneling cut to fit the front of the door. We glued it in place with Gorilla Epoxy. (I read the details about the glue before using it to make sure it would hold in high temperatures. The dishwasher gets nowhere near as hot as this glue can handle.) He then attached a few pieces of trim (cut from 1x4s) to mimic the cabinet doors. A little caulk and some paint, and it looks just like the cabinets! So how to make the top panel look like one of the drawers? Obviously it's necessary to have access to the top panel of the dishwasher, where the handle and dishwasher controls are. Attaching the faux drawer with hinges was the only solution (that I could come up with) that would provide the necessary access. We glued a wood slat across the top of the door. Kevin actually screwed the slat into the door as well. (I was surprised when I saw the screws right into the door, but he said that section is just a hollow piece of the handle, and didn't extend into the dishwasher The slat provided 2 things - a cover for the top edge of the door that can be painted to match the cabinets, and a sturdy surface to attach the hinges for the faux drawer. The faux drawer was cut from a piece of 1x 8 long enough to cover the top panel. (He used a table saw to bevel the edges to match the other drawers.) We attached it to the dishwasher with 3" bifold door hinges. I spray painted the hinges with Rustoleum's Dark Bronze to match the hardware. I struggled with this a bit - whether I should paint them the cabinet color or the hardware color. (I thought that I might be able to disguise the hinges if they were painted the same as the cabinets.) Regardless of the color, it's important to use bifold hinges so that there is enough swing to move the faux drawer out of the way when the dishwasher is operating. I love that the faux drawer sticks out further than the actual cabinet drawers. I think it adds a little architectural interest to an otherwise flat landscape. I feel ridiculous saying that about my tiny little kitchen (sounds so fancy and almost pretentious!), but I don't know how else to describe it. I like bumpy rather than flat??? No - that really doesn't sound any better at all - and that's going somewhere else entirely. ha. I mentioned that using bifold hinges is important. The first time that I ran the dishwasher after installing the faux drawer, water puddled on the floor in front of the dishwasher. I panicked thinking that maybe we did drill into something important! However, the water was from steam that exhausts through a small vent at the top of the door. The faux drawer was blocking the exhaust, so condensation built up on the back of the drawer and dripped. Here is how the drawer needs to be situated when the dishwasher runs... (It still gets wet during the process but no more dripping! It's kind of like the cabinets above the stove when you boil water - a bit of condensation, but no harm done.) Adding cabinet hardware put the finishing touch on the dishwasher camo. I could not be happier with how it turned out! Thanks so much Suzanne for allowing me to be a guest today. I hope that your readers enjoyed my visit! Much love, Brenda  

Thanks you, Brenda! I am enthralled with your dishwasher camouflage. And I think I will be looking for a green door like yours for the rest of my life! Thanks for being my guest today. 
Pin It

4 comments:

Emily@TheWickerHouse said...

Oh my goodness suzanne, You keep introducing me to the cutest blogs!
Im in love with all of her projects. The hidden dishwasher is such a clever idea. Ok I can't wait any longer to see more. I'm off.
Have a great day

Traci said...

This is a truely amazing idea. I love projects that solve a problem like this one does. I did something simular with crown molding in our last house. Great idea and great execution.
Thanks for sharing.
Traci

Meredith said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the great ideas!!!! Especially the footstool! I can't wait to get building!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I am in LOVE with that green door! I would love to find a way to do that upstairs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...